City of Lancaster
-> Code Enforcement
is Code Enforcement?
- The Enforcement of International Property Maintenance
Codes(ICC), Lancaster Codified Ordinances, and Ohio Revised
- Multifaceted approach to abating code violations within
What are Code Violations?
Code violations range from high grass to condemnation/
demolition of a dwelling.
Examples of violations would be junk autos, interior
sanitation (living condition), exterior sanitation, property
maintenance, high grass, dog manure, and tires just to name a
How are complaints managed?
Determination if violation or not
Certified mailing of violation notice sent with time to
repair from 3 to 30 days depending on type of violation
File charges or close case if completed
High Grass Complaints
High grass is a summer long community issue.
Bank foreclosures, poor rental management, deceased
owners, and careless tenant/owners cause high grass
High grass complaint management has greatly improved with
the evolution of the Code Enforcement program.
What is done with high grass?
- A high grass violation is given three days to remedy.
- If not resolved with three days the property in question
is mowed by a city contractor.
- Cost of the mowing is passed onto the owner by property
tax special assessments.
- The City of Lancaster has set aside $3000.00 for the
mowing of nuisance properties in 2003.