Division of Water
225 N. Memorial Dr.
Lancaster, OH 43130
The City of Lancaster Division of Water provides some tips on protecting the water pipes in your
home as temperatures begin to plummet.
Find Your Main Shut-Off Valve! • Don’t wait! Imagine the panic you would feel if water started pouring through the house from a
broken pipe. Locate the main shut-off valve, mark it, and make sure everyone in the household
knows where it is.
Helping to Prevent Frozen Water Pipes:
• Seal any air drafts around fixtures.
• Insulate pipes in unheated areas.
• When freezing weather is forecast, turn off the water to outside spigots and drain all water from
• Drain in-ground lawn irrigation systems. (Check manufacturer instructions for the best
• Set the thermostat to no less than 55ºF or simply shut off the main valve to protect pipes during
extended absences from home in the winter. If you turn the heat off entirely, drain all water from
pipes after closing the shut-off valve.
If Your Water Pipes Freeze:
• Turn on the closest cold water faucet to relieve pressure from expanding ice in pipes.
• Wrap towels soaked with warm water around pipes to gradually thaw them.
• DO NOT attempt using a blow torch or hair-dryer to thaw frozen pipes since intense heat can
cause them to crack or bust.
Please call City of Lancaster Division of Water (740) 687-6631 if you have a service disruption.