The Lawrence Street Water Pollution Control Facility (LSWPCF) is designed for a peak hour capacity of 18.0 Million Gallons per Day (mgd) with a peak daily flow of 12 mgd through the biological treatment system. The average day capacity of the facility is 10 mgd. The LSWPCF was originally constructed in 1939 as a trickling filter plant in conjunction with a system of interceptor sewers to serve the Hocking River and Baldwin Run/Ewing Run areas. The plant was expanded in 1965 and again in 1985, 1992 and 1997 to meet the demands of a growing city and increased regulatory requirements.
National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permit
Effluent from the Lawrence Street Water Pollution Control Facility discharges to the Hocking River in accordance with the NPDES Permit issued by the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency. Discharge limits were developed based on chemical and biological data and modeling and in accordance with the Hocking River Total Maximum Daily Load Report as developed by the Agency.